Amount awarded: £2,800
Kempston East Methodist Church, built in 1904, describes itself as a church where everyone is welcome. The church reaches out to the community in Bedford through numerous activities including cinema nights and concerts. Good lighting for these activities and for worship is vital. The church faced high costs and maintenance time servicing old tungsten filament lamps which were becoming increasingly difficult to find and needed to be replaced with energy-efficient lighting to adhere to EU regulations. The fundraising effort to upgrade the lighting system was led by property chairman Michael Stephenson and property committee member Jane Mayhew, who raised the £27,000 to cover the lighting project costs. The church received a grant of £2,800 through the Methodist Grants programme.